Public Transportation Safety
Public transportation is a great option for Chicago residents. However, some target individuals riding the L or buses in Chicago. Follow these tips when when riding the L or using buses throughout the city:
- Sit close to the driver or operator when using public transportation.
- When traveling alone, use aisle seats only. This way, you are not trapped in your seat.
- Stick to more popular, widely-used transit routes. Your commute may be longer, but it is better to stay in well-populated areas while traveling.
- Be mindful of your surroundings. No matter what time of day it is, or how crowded the bus or train is you are on, make sure you are aware of what is going on around you. Those reading books or newspapers, or listening to music are easier targets.
- Know your commute before you start it. Try to keep from looking at maps or signs. You are distracted when doing so, and “bad guys” will take advantage of that.
If you have suggestions on how to make our L stations more safe and secure, email Alan Oviedo at email@example.com.