Senior Citizen Services

Chicago Department of Family and Support Services

The department’s Senior Services Area Agency on Aging administers a variety of programs designed to address the diverse needs and interests of older Chicagoans, from those who are healthy and active, to those who are frail and homebound. Click here for further information about these and other programs, including the quarterly Senior Life Enrichment Guide that highlights programs and activities offered by the Chicago Department of Family and Support Services for Chicagoans ages “60 Years and Better”.

The Edgewater Senior Center, located at the Broadway Armory Park at 5917 N. Broadway, is another resource for the senior community.

Annual Sewer Rebates for Association Homeowners

If you own a townhouse, condominium unit, or cooperative apartment that shares a common water bill, and are 65 years of age or older, you are eligible to request a $50 refund for sewer charges from the City of Chicago. Click here for instructions and a link to the application form, which you can complete online. Return the completed form along with the proper attachments to the Alderman’s office at 5533 N. Broadway.   Scans via email to, or faxes to 773-784-6630 are acceptable forms of transmission.

Annual Senior Citizen Sewer Exemption for Single-Family Homeowners

Seniors aged 65 or over, residing in their own residence with separate metered water service or a separate city water assessment for that residential unit are entitled to an exemption from payment of the sewer service charge for their residence. Click here for further information and a link to the form required to request the exemption. The completed form should be sent directly to the City Finance Department as indicated on the form.

Property Tax Exemptions

If you own and live in a home, townhome, or condominium unit for which you pay property taxes, you can apply for a Senior Citizen’s Exemption that will lower the assessed value of your property, and more than likely your total property tax bill. If your income is below a certain level, you may qualify for a Senior Citizen’s Property Tax freeze that will lower your tax bill even further. Click here for further information and links to the required forms.

See Also:  Housing Assistance